Tuesday, January 11, 2011

New

My Stack of books for the semester
     Well, it's a new year. New things (like a printer-yay!!), new semester, and a new blog! So here goes nothing!
Christmas break was wonderful of course. I loved spending the time with family and friends and it all went by entirely too fast. I ate lots of junk food, lots of real food, worked, learned how to play Texas Holdem, watched lots of Netflix, and things like that. After three weeks of being home of course it was hard to leave, but the drive back to Salt Lake went really well and much better than I expected.
     Today was the second day of the semester and I've decided that it is going to be brutal and may just kill me! Yet oddly enough, I'm still feeling very confident about it. I know my classes are going to take a lot of work and I'm ok with that. I have definitely done much better with homework and dedication in college than I did in high school. But I'm glad I'm learning it now and not halfway through college. I'm not sure where all this new motivation came from, but my guess is heaven, and a scholarship. It's amazing how much motivation money can give! After completing my first semester of school, I have gotten an idea of how expensive college really is. I am so grateful for the scholarship that I received that helps me pay for my education. I'm also so grateful for all the money that goes into my education on the church's behalf that makes it so my tuition can be reasonable. I am beginning to realize just how valuable scholarships are!
     Thankfully there are some things that make me laugh and relax a little bit. For instance... Yesterday in class my teacher said acronisms instead of acronymns. Fail. Yep it's obvious she's not an english teacher. In that same class a girl asked the teacher if she wanted our paper in MLA Notation or Scientific Notation. Epic Fail. Sometimes i wonder if I'm really in college. But thankfully everyone makes mistakes, it keeps us humble!
     Spiritual thought of the day: Today in devotional the president of our college talked about the "Covenant of the Fertile Field". He talked about Lehi's family in the wilderness and how they relied on the Leihona for guidance. Then he related it to how all of us must go through our own wildernesses whether we want to or not. Usually we need to for some reason or another, and in the end it helps us build character. We have our own Leihona's today and it's important that we remember to use them. Probably my favorite part of his talk was when he talked about the parable of the man pushing the rock. A man was given the job to push an extremely large rock. He did so, but got frustrated after a while when it was not moving. After a while, he stopped and asked God for help. God came down and asked him what the problem was. The man asked why the rock was not moving when he had been working and pushing so hard. God replied that the man's job was not to move the rock, just to push against it. We need to remember that we don't always have to move the rock, sometimes we just need to push.
     Thought of the day: At improv club today, someone said something about eating Jell-o with chopsticks. Someone else said that that was pretty much impossible and ridiculously hard. Then a guy from China said not for an Asian! Asians can do anything. So apparently Asians can eat Jell-o with chopsticks and anything else. I wonder if Chuck Norris can eat jell-o with chopsticks. That should be the next T-shirt they make for him. "Chuck Norris can eat jell-o with chopsticks"... Hmm. Too bad that sounds ridiculously lame. Anyways... Everybody should try eating Jell-o with chopsticks when they are needing a challenge.

    

4 comments:

  1. I think the Jell-o they're talking about is really thick, like Jigglers. Like that milk Jell-o stuff that Kimball's had? Anyway, now I want to try to see if the thicker kind is easy to eat. I'll have to make some for Drew's birthday tomorrow.

    Do you have an invitation to my blog? There are new Penelope pictures there... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah school is crazy but great. you'll do good michelle

    ReplyDelete
  3. i love that we both have blogs now =) we are so cool

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah i figured they were talking about like Jigglers.. but still! haha =] Ooh i'll go follow you right now Ames!

    ReplyDelete